VIC Neighbour disputes over barking dog

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lilmitz581

4 July 2019
hi

I’ve been taken to court over my barking dog and although I have a lawyer in place I need to know my rights with regards to this.

The lawyer will ask for an adjournment to ‘fix’ the issue using a behaviourist although I’m at a loss as there’s a possibility where we need to rehome the dog which is not what I want.

Mediation was not the option here as even though we wanting to go through mediation but the ex-neighbours wanted court proceedings by going through the council.

This has caused a lot of stress not to mention the financial burden which I don’t have the funds for so my question is that since the neighbours have ‘lied’ about some of the details on their log diary would we have a fair chance of winning?

Secondly how severe would the case be should the possibility of rehoming the dog?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
would we have a fair chance of winning?

Unlikely unless if was so wrong as to be completely made up. The odd mistake is not likely to be an issue.

Secondly how severe would the case be should the possibility of rehoming the dog?

I do not understand the question. If referring to cost you may be forced to pay the council's costs. Anywhere from $5k-$25k is an estimate for a fully defended matter in the magistrates court.