NSW Needing advice on testing

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Yasmine

30 November 2018
I have just done a paternity test that was orderd by the courts, I self represented myself, will I need a lawyer if the result concludes it's my my child. I don't talk to the mother any more so I don't know where she is and I'm currently married, would anyone have string advise on what to do about this like will I have to see the child how much will I have to pay etc

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
No one can force you to have contact with the child if you don't want to.

As for how much you will have to pay, first the other party has to make a claim for child support payments. If they never do that, then you won't have to pay anything.

However given that a paternity test has been ordered, I'm guessing that child support is inevitable. How much you will have to pay will be determined either by the Child Support Agency (CSA) or the court, after taking into account things such as the financials of both parents, how many kids they have etc. In short, there is no way of knowing how much it will be until there has been an assessment done.

Last edited:

sammy01

27 September 2015
call csa (child support agency) 131 272. Give them this hypotethical... You're gross income. Tell them you have zero contact with the kid. Tell them the mother earns $25 000. You'll then have your worst case scenario as far as child support payments go