QLD Necessary to Wind Car Window Down for Police?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cooper

17 April 2018
Let's say I get stopped by police for speeding. The police officer comes over and requests me to wind down my car window, do I have to?

I know that I have to wind it down enough for the officer to hand me stuff and for me to hand the officer stuff. Other than that, do I have to wind down my car window just to talk to the officer?

Clancy

6 April 2016
If your choice is to show as much disrespect as is legally possible, then I don't know exactly?

I don't blame you if you do, police follow us around handing out petty fines for breaking rules simply for the rules sake when no risk occurred to anyone - that is what is disrespectful, and respect is a two-way street. I guess police forgot that these days?

Never used to be like this 30 years ago I can tell you. Police used to be real humans that you could actually talk to and they would actually listen!

Sorry if I shocked you! But yes, once upon a time they actually listened. These days when you see a policeman, you get a mindless bureaucratic robots with set pre-programmed parameters and nothing you say or do matters so why F-ing talk to them? Yea.

Cooper

17 April 2018
If your choice is to show as much disrespect as is legally possible, then i don't know exactly? I don't blame you if you do, police follow us around handing out petty fines for breaking rules simply for the rules sake when no risk occurred to anyone - THAT is what is disrespectful, and respect is a two way street. I guess police forgot that these days? Never used to be like this 30 years ago i can tell you, police used to be real humans that you could actually talk to and they would actually listen! sorry if i shocked you!!! but yes, once upon a time they actually listened. These days when you see a policeman you get a mindless bureaucratic robots with set pre programmed parameters and nothing you say or do matters so why F-ing talk to them? Yea,
I think police are great when they stop robberies, catch criminals and handle criminal situations. What I don't like is the revenue raising pricks they are. But I'm not here to talk about that :).

Clancy

6 April 2016
I think police are great when they stop robberies, catch criminals and handle criminal situations. What I don't like is the revenue raising pricks they are. But I'm not here to talk about that :).

As for the actual law, well, I have seen rude people on YouTube simply ignoring police, it just looks bad. You could politely tell the policeman that you are exercising your right to silence. And if they continue to question you, continue to give that same response. Police no longer give out enough warnings these days to give people incentive to be co-operative. You can safely assume your getting a ticket, so may as well exercise your right to silence.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
There's no law that states you must wind your window down.

But you could be arrested for obstruction of justice.

Sally-Anne Fagin

18 September 2017
If your choice is to show as much disrespect as is legally possible, then I don't know exactly?

I don't blame you if you do, police follow us around handing out petty fines for breaking rules simply for the rules sake when no risk occurred to anyone - that is what is disrespectful, and respect is a two-way street. I guess police forgot that these days?

Never used to be like this 30 years ago I can tell you. Police used to be real humans that you could actually talk to and they would actually listen!

Sorry if I shocked you! But yes, once upon a time they actually listened. These days when you see a policeman, you get a mindless bureaucratic robots with set pre-programmed parameters and nothing you say or do matters so why F-ing talk to them? Yea.

Well let me see; there was the time 20 years ago when the police stole $5 from my purse (I know it's not much money, but that's all that was there, and I'm sure they would have stolen the rest if there was more there).

And then there was the time 17 years ago where police arrested me for breach of bail even though I had no bail conditions, and they knew it, and when my solicitor phoned them and told them I had no bail conditions they wouldn't listen to her. ( I was an activist and a thorn in their side, so the unlawful arrest was in retaliation for my activism).

Then there was the time 15 years ago where police twisted my arm and repeatedly banged my head against the back of a police wagon after I kicked it during a political protest.

No, I don't think police "were real humans who would listen" back then.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Well let me see; there was the time 20 years ago when the police stole $5 from my purse (I know it's not much money, but that's all that was there, and I'm sure they would have stolen the rest if there was more there).

Then there was the time 15 years ago where police twisted my arm and repeatedly banged my head against the back of a police wagon.

No, I don't think police "were real humans who would listen" back then.

Well, I did say 30 years, but perhaps that's cutting it a bit close, so let's say 40 years and it's all down hill from there... Probably close to 30 years ago, I copped a negligent driving charge for my car supposedly flung stones on a police car. That was just the start of the idiocy and disrespect I have received from tax collectors in blue over the years - but never an assault, probably because I always bend over and take whatever s**t they hand to me.

Sally-Anne Fagin

18 September 2017
But as for winding your window down, well I wind it half way down so I can hear what they are saying. Driving in a built up area my window is usually down or part way down anyway.

And if they have a breathaliser in their hand, or say they wish to conduct a random breath test on you, and you refuse to wind down your window, you may get charged with refusing a breath test.