my ex just dropped from FT to PT

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
1 August 2019
I was recently advised by my ex wife that she was giving up her well paid full time job and changing to part time taking a $70k pay cut in the process. For personal reasons?!?!
Maybe having an affair with one of the managing directors would attribute to that decision but hey hey, whatever. She has since started a uni course and yep, you guessed it she expects me to be paying more now in child support payments. Approx an extra $200/week.
This came to me with the argument that child support is based on your current salary and that due to her change in hours and pay cut i now had to come up with even more money.
Our divorce went through fairly amicably with us both deciding on a binding child support agreement which saw us both paying equal amounts into a joint account for all the kids expenses and extra going from me to her for the extra nights she had the kids. Its a 10/4 split across the fortnight.
I've read on the internet that there are grounds to appeal if one of the parents drops there salary dramatically and without good and justifiable reason and that university study is also out of the question when making an appeal for the other parent to up there contributions.
I've also read that Child support can be viewed as what your potential earnings and ability to earn are rather than what you choose to earn which in her case is barely anything.
To be frank i cant afford what she is expecting me to pay so its the kids that will go without in respect to after school activities and dance/swim etc.
So where does that leave me now? Return to mediation? something that i am looking at..... the courts and lawyers route, which although she is determined to pursue should she not get what she wants from mediation or d i just go to Child Support Australia and pay through there?
Advise.....comments all welcome

Atticus

6 February 2019
Our divorce went through fairly amicably with us both deciding on a binding child support agreement which saw us both paying equal amounts into a joint account for all the kids expenses and extra going from me to her for the extra nights she had the kids. Its a 10/4 split across the fortnight.

If you do have a binding child support agreement, lodged with & accepted by the CSA, then it can not be varied without independent legal advice for both of you & you both agreeing to a new agreement...

So just refuse the extra if you can't afford it.