NT My daughters ex is a drug dealer

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

debsmith

16 February 2021
my daughter has found out that her partner is a drug dealer and has left the relationship.She has two children from this relationship who want to see their father. The father wants the children three nights a week. My daughter has now found out that her ex is still dealing drugs and doesnt want her children in the home. where does she go from here?

sammy01

27 September 2015
More detail required.
Age of kids?
how long ago did they break up?

Ok, so this is a bit crazy BUT are the kids in harms way? Does dad have a history of child abuse / neglect? a criminal history?

So what I'm getting at is that unless you have an established proven reason to have concerns for the welfare of the kids good and well. IF you don't then refusing access to the kids based on rumors and hearsay is a bad idea.

That said. No court orders mean technically there is no legal obligation to facilitate access. But this is a horrible can of worms. If you refuse access and dad picks the kids up from school, what then?

If you have real concerns about drug dealing then speak to the police.

debsmith

16 February 2021
Kids are two and four and they seperated four months ago because of drugs. He has 2 charges recently and been suspended sentence and good behaviour. He has now admited taking a heavy drug. He wants kids three nights per week and she is very concerned

sammy01

27 September 2015
If you have concerns for the safety of the kids while with dad then you should not send the kids. The fact that he has drug charges would go a long way to establishing good grounds to withhold the kids.

I am a punter on a keyboard. That is all. Getting legal advice is strongly recommended rather than taking advice from some bloke with a computer.