NSW MVA and Driving under the influence of illegal substance

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

shaylea

6 November 2019
Hi, I really hope someone can offer me some advice. My son was involved in a car accident a few days ago (He was driving) No body was hurt in the accident thankfully but he was found to be on LSD! I was so disgusted to hear about it and i am actually embarrassed to be asking for any help and advice on here.
However, This is the situation he has got himself into.

He was on LSD, No alcohol, driving, on his provisional license when he caused a collison with another car.
He was arrested and taken to hospital for blood tests and then released after discharge from hospital the next day. He is awaiting a court date.

My first question is, has he been disqualified from driving immediately or does he still hold his license until he is charged?
What will he most likely be charged with? What fine? How long will he loose his license for?

This is the first time he has been in trouble with police. He has a good job and studies hard and has been in a stupid place, made a stupid decision which he now has to deal with.

I appreciate any advice - Thank you.

Joshbuck

4 November 2019
QLD
A license is usually only suspended for 24hrs so the person can sober up, in the case of lsd... Well in some cases (high range drink driving) they can suspend your license until your court date, the police should have told you which was the case, but I would imagine the latter.

I recommend not driving until he calls the police station and finds out whether he had a 24hr driving suspension or if it’s until his court date.
If it is until the court date and he needs to drive for work/study I recommend asking a lawyer what he can do about getting a special license in the meantime.
If he is approved for a special license and uses it without incident, that should help show the judge that this was a one time thing.

Joshbuck

4 November 2019
QLD
As for your son’s punishment, that’s at the judge’s discretion. So prepare some character references and just about anything you believe would show your son is an upstanding citizen.
Make sure he dresses for the occasion and it wouldn’t hurt to have such a loving mother at his side.

Being a first offence, working and studying, whole life ahead of him, all these work in his favour. I couldn’t imagine a judge making a ruling that would irrevocably change his life.

Last edited: