QLD Music from Neighbours

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lisa smith

28 November 2019
Seeking advise or ideas from anyone who has previously dealt with neighbours playing constant base noise/music. Police and their landlord have been contacted. But seeking more so legal advice on what to do next.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
It depends on how often it's occurring and at what time of day.

Noise complaints are actually a council matter. If you lodge a complaint with the council, they can take action under environmental laws.

In the mean time, log all occurrences, report to the Police each time and get an event number from the Police each time. When you get around to lodging a complaint with the council, include all the event numbers you got from the Police so they can check them. If you can get five or so events fairly close together (one per week for example), then the council will be more inclined to act on it.

When you contact the Police, you can explain that you are planning on contacting the council and that the Police don't need to attend - you just need the event number for each call.

Last edited:

lisa smith

28 November 2019
It depends on how often it's occurring and at what time of day.

Noise complaints are actually a council matter. If you lodge a complaint with the council, they can take action under environmental laws.

In the mean time, log all occurrences, report to the Police each time and get an event number from the Police each time. When you get around to lodging a complaint with the council, include all the event numbers you got from the Police so they can check them. If you can get five or so events fairly close together (one per week for example), then the council will be more inclined to act on it.

When you contact the Police, you can explain that you are planning on contacting the council and that the Police don't need to attend - you just need the event number for each call.

lisa smith

28 November 2019
Unfortunately our council does not do noise matters, only barking dogs. We are logging it and reporting to police link every time. Was more so looking at legal avenue in what to take.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
What council is it?

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Huh - what a lazy council! As far as I can tell, they don't manage any noise at all - not even dogs! That's just pathetic and quite frankly, I find it very surprising. Noise complaints are a cash cow for councils everywhere else.

I suppose all you can do is keep reporting it to the Police. Hopefully they'll eventually get fed with it and do something. At least you can do that online these days (https://forms.police.qld.gov.au/launch/NoiseComplaint).

Ref:
Scenic Rim Regional Council - Local Laws (List of local and subordinate laws)
Local Law No. 3 (Community and Environmental Management) 2011 (See Part 6)
Subordinate Local Law No. 3 (Community and Environmental Management) 2011 (See Part 6 and Schedule 5)

Last edited:

lisa smith

28 November 2019
Yes I did look into other councils and found they will manage noise complaints except ours. We have an appointment with a solicitor next week, hoping they can offer a legal avenue as listening to music/base noise is affecting the Heath of the people who live here. Even with windows closed, our tv on and their property over 200m away we can here it, as we live in rural and open area.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Well best of luck. I don't know what can be done - hopefully the solicitor will come up with something. I guess that's one of the few drawbacks of living in a rural area. (I wish my neighbours were 200m away!)
Let us know how it goes.