QLD Traffic Law - Rules on Multi-lane Driving?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ani Free

19 June 2017
HI,

I have to find a road rule about multi-lane driving. Does anyone know the answer?

Is it legal or prohibited under Traffic Law to stop and reverse on a city's multi-lane road from the outer lane (the outside lane as the lane closest to the middle of the road) and crossing lanes?

Thank you

Ani Free

19 June 2017
Thank you Lance, I can't find description about this road (Ashmore, Currumburra rd, Gold Coast) and I will check the regulations.

Cheers

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Ashmore and Currumburra Roads aren't Freeways. However, there are Regulations which may apply:

Reg 125 - unreasonably obstructing drivers
Reg 130 - keeping to the left on multi-lane roads (where posted speed limit is 80km/h or more)

Each offence has the same penalty. The question is, why would you want to do that in any case? I know these roads. It's not like there's a ton of clear view. If you stop and reverse from the right hand land, you'd be lucky not to get cleaned up.

Reactions: Lance

Ani Free

19 June 2017
HI Rob,

Thank you for your reply.

I was riding my bike on this road, when suddenly a truck in front of me stopped. This was in the outer lane and he immediately started to reverse back toward me. (he did not check the side mirrors).
The truck collided with my motorcycle and knocking me off. I hit the road and my bike jammed underneath the reversing truck.

My bike was a write-off.

The conference is coming soon and I would like to know the rules apply for this situation.

Reactions: Lance