Moving company insolvency - what now?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Francesca

21 October 2019
Hey everyone,

I have an urgent question at hand. I just recently moved from the Netherlands to Australia and my items were delivered via Relocalty (a german company). The items were picked up mid may, arrived in sydney on september 2nd and are now already in Melbourne where I live.

HOWEVER! The moving company declared insolvency on the 14th of october and the australian company moved my stuff from sydney to melbourne (which was supposed to arrive at my place on the 14th) told us there was a delay in delivery and now won't give us our things unless we pay them for the move from sydney, because they claim to have not been payed by relocalty.

My question is, if we already payed everything and they only went bankrupt about a week ago, hence the day the other moving company was SUPPOSED TO deliver our things, is it legal that they ask us to pay them now? And what should we do now?

Relocalty contacted the company in sydney but not us. Other customers received a direct email from them, which makes me think that they would have also emailed us if the payment for our shipment was not payed.

I am very grateful for any advice because i really do not know what to do now.

Thank you in advance,

Francesca

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Give our office a call. See details in my signature below.

We can provide advice on your next steps and if necessary prepare a letter on your behalf. This is not a straight forward situation involving German bankruptcy laws, international law, warehousing liens and contract law.

Taking a pragmatic approach, the value of the items (cost and sentimental) may also determine what you do.

We'd like to discuss your options, but only after a bit more information is received.

Gtiodmd

22 June 2021
I think it is some fraud. No one can detain the things if the client claims that he made the payment.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I think it is some fraud. No one can detain the things if the client claims that he made the payment.
You are mistaken.