QLD Mould in Brand new car

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

prakairat

3 May 2018
Hi
I just wondering,i bought Hyundai brand new car for 1.5 months and it's have a lot of mold under driver seat.i call dealer they just ask me to send my car to them and they just clean it but it"s still have mold inside.they not even can answer me why have mold? what should I do? I don"t want to use this car anymore coz I don"t know when mold will happen again. Can I return or ask them to replace me with the new car?

Thank you
pla

Lart

2 January 2017
I am assuming that you are talking about mold growing on the carpet? As it is a form of Fungus it needs moisture to grow, so there must be some fault that is allowing water to enter the Car.
Make certain that the moldy area is dry and then take the car to a Car Wash, or even better get a High Pressure Water Sprayer. Thoroughly hose all around the door seals, and also underneath the car. There could be a missing underbody plug, or a faulty rubber door seal which is allowing water to enter, so a good hosing should show up the leak. Fix the leak and no more fungus/mold.

You will not be able to exchange your car for another one unless it has a 'major fault' which makes the car unsafe or unfit for it's normal purpose.

prakairat

3 May 2018
I am assuming that you are talking about mold growing on the carpet? As it is a form of Fungus it needs moisture to grow, so there must be some fault that is allowing water to enter the Car.
Make certain that the moldy area is dry and then take the car to a Car Wash, or even better get a High Pressure Water Sprayer. Thoroughly hose all around the door seals, and also underneath the car. There could be a missing underbody plug, or a faulty rubber door seal which is allowing water to enter, so a good hosing should show up the leak. Fix the leak and no more fungus/mold.

You will not be able to exchange your car for another one unless it has a 'major fault' which makes the car unsafe or unfit for it's normal purpose.
Hi
I understand but I think it’s not my fault. Should I get something or better deal?

Lart

2 January 2017
Hi
I understand but I think it’s not my fault. Should I get something or better deal?

I realise that it is not your fault, but I doubt whether the Dealer will give you another brand new Car because of the carpet, they will normally only do that if the car has a major fault like a faulty engine or transmission.

If the mould only occurred once it may be just a case of the carpet getting wet during it's pre-delivery clean and inspection. So there may in fact be no fault with the seals/plugs on the car to let water in. I would give it a good hose anyway to make certain.

If the carpet is still stained after they cleaned it, then I would expect the Dealer to replace the carpet with a new one.