VIC Modifications to the backyard in rental property

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Monksley

6 March 2015
Hi,

After renting the same property for over 5 years I gave a notice to my property manager that I will be moving out.
Because we had a good relationship with the landlord and property manager I have notified them that I will go extra mile and apart from cleaning and doing some repairs on the property that I will even the backyard, remove the weeds and sawn new lawn (with good quality seeds).
I've done this because over the years the soil on that property has moved during the heavy weather conditions and the water was always standing in a few spots and the whole backyard was just mess. As a fact even when we moved in there was no proper grass. Just a messy backyard with some patches of green and lots of weeds.
In my believe I've done it to only improve the look of this property even though it will take a few weeks for new grass to grow.
I've invested my time and money and notified the property manager about the changes.

Now the property manager is holding my bond because as they say the grass hasn't grow yet and that the backyard is a majority dirt and that will affect the leasing significantly.

They agree to the fact that the backyard has been in a poor condition but now they want me to go 50/50 on the cost from maintenance company who would put a new lawn!

I have videos of the condition of that backyard and I showed them how it was when we moved in and now they're planning to do the landscaping in that backyard and ask me to split the cost.

Do they have right to ask me that?

I didn't damage the property, only improved it and I have experience in doing it.
They happy with overall condition of the property but they are not happy that there's no grass at the moment there because I decided to saw the fresh new lawn for a them.

Could someone please advice what should I do?
I'm thinking of looking for help with VCAT if I have.

Thank you for your help.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Apply for your bond back from VCAT and let them argue their case.

Reactions: Tim W