QLD mobility purchased privately turns out to be a hazard and dangerous

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Peggy Towne

17 May 2017
We recently purchased a mobility scooter privately and it wouldn't start once delivered.
My husband test drove it on their property and it worked and was delivered an hour later and we couldn't get it going.

Yesterday we got a scooter repairer out to fix it and although he could get it started his advice is it's not worth repairing the other problems identified as its a hazard and is dangerous!

I have messaged sellers with full information requesting a refund but no response.

What rights do we have on private purchases in such cases where the good subsequently turn out to be a hazard and dangerous?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Peggy,
I don't think you have any rights under Australian Consumer Law. You other option is a civil claim. The problem being did the seller given you a reasonable opportunity to assess the scooter before purchase. I would assume they did and I would have expected you would have seen any problems. You could apply to the QLD Civil and Administrative tribunal to see if you can recover the money based on disclosure of the problems you have encountered. They probably could be expected to have known its condition on sale.