QLD Mix of family and crimson law

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gan ma Leanne

13 December 2019
If I recently got told about a serious incident of neglect to a grand child, but the incident happened last year can I have the person or persons responsible charged now.

Atticus

6 February 2019
You can report the incident. There will be a statement required, but it's up to police to bring a charge if they decide there is a case to purse

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
To add to Atticus' answer, I doubt there's any chance of action being taken. The incident occured a year ago and even if you give a statement now, it's all hearsay because it's coming from a third party. The simple fact is that you don't know how accurate the story you've been told really is and the Police can't rely on that as evidence. There's also a question about whether or not the matter is serious enough to investigate to begin with. The person who gave you this information didn't think the matter was serious enough to report, otherwise they would have reported it themselves a long time ago.

Add all of that up and I doubt there's enough to convince the Police to investigate, let alone charge anyone.

Gan ma Leanne

13 December 2019
Hi I got told by people who witness it, and they were threatened not to do anything. And the child was punch in the face while in her car seat, and was semi conscious.

Atticus

6 February 2019
That's not neglect, if true, that's child abuse & should most definitely be reported... You will be best to offer up the names of the witnesses because police will need to get statements...... If the witnesses are under age, that could be a problem as technically a parent must be present during interviews.... If the abuser/s are also the parents of the witness, then that may change how the police are allowed to proceed regarding interviews.... BUT. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. The first thing to do is report the abuse & take direction from the police

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
That's not neglect, if true, that's child abuse & should most definitely be reported... You will be best to offer up the names of the witnesses because police will need to get statements...... If the witnesses are under age, that could be a problem as technically a parent must be present during interviews.... If the abuser/s are also the parents of the witness, then that may change how the police are allowed to proceed regarding interviews.... BUT. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. The first thing to do is report the abuse & take direction from the police
Seconded. What you're now describing is an entirely different thing altogether and yes, you can and should (in my opinion) report it. This is a very serious assault, plus (I assume) threats of assault against the witness(es) - which is witness tampering, also a very serious offence.

Ultimately, the Police will need to speak with any witnesses, so as pointed out by Atticus, if you do report it, you pretty much won't have any choice but to give up their details.

The huge problem that is now very clear, is that reporting this may put the witness(es) in danger. As Atticus touched on, it would help to know if they are in any way related to the alleged offender.

Gan ma Leanne

13 December 2019
It was my grand daughter, the person who abused her was my son ( her father). The witness’s are friends of my grand daughter’s mother’s family. They were told by my son’s mother in-law not to call an ambulance just make sure she stays awake.