WA Misuse of drugs search warrant

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Helen001

30 March 2017
Hi guys,
I have a couple of questions regarding a misuse of drugs search warrant.

How many copies of the warrant are there ( I was told 3 ) and must each copy be dated and signed?

Does the officer whos in charge of the search have to execute the warrant or can any officer?

What's the legality of asking to see the warrant twice and being refused?

Can a constable be in charge of the search?

Sorry theres so many but really appreciate any answers.
Thanks

Helen001

30 March 2017
Yes Warrants are issues in triplicate. one copy is served to you other is kept in court for record and third is for police record.
usually a court order officer in charge to execute the warrants but if he cannot execute it due to its busy schedule than he can endorsed it to his subordinate to execute it.
Its your right to ask/ demand for warrants and officers are also duty bound to show warrants to the person who is going to be arrested. so that he can know why he is arrested.
Thank you for your reply. And all three copies must be dated?
What if im refused to be shown the warrant after asking?

T.I

28 June 2018
I would like to know this as the same thing happened to me. Also is there some protocol to what is justifiable to obtain a search warrant. After being at my house 8 hours after asking numerous times for the warrant I finally got the answer what the search warrant was for and it was for stolen trailer number plates. I had the trailer in my garage and they didn’t even check it. Plus two officers jumped my back fence also there was 5 officers in total and two of them from different precinct. I had no prior criminal record and opened the door to them as they barged past me.
I thought police were supposed to be fair and trust worthy. I no longer trust police or have faith in justice system.
Ruined 3 years of my life and still going through it.