NSW Misrep by private car seller

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

James a.

2 February 2018
Hi Sir/ Mdm,

I recently brought a car from private seller in NSW and later found out that the car was "repairable written off" in 2011. During the inspection of the vehicle, i clearly asked the seller more than a coupe of time that whether the car has been written off before or accident, stolen, outstanding loan. And the answer is NO & nothing of that sort.

Do i have rights to return the car and get my money back? if yes, what is the procedure?

Thank you & Cheers!

sammy01

27 September 2015
nope - google caveat emptor.... It is your obligation to do a check to see if the car was stolen / written off or anything else.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do i have rights to return the car and get my money back? if yes, what is the procedure?

Yes. Go to court, probably with the assistance of a lawyer. However it will be hard unless you have something in writing that supports your story.

You can ask the seller to take it back but don't like your chances.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Words are worthless.... that's why when i buy a car privately, i always get them to specify some basic assurances in writing signed by them on the receipt. I also take a picture of their drivers license next to the signed receipt.

If the seller doesn't want to do the above, that's how i know to walk away.