NSW Misleading Pricing with Grammarly?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jasmine1234

11 August 2016
I'm a university student and had been sussing out Grammarly, a proof-reading and editing business. When I look through the website on my computer, nowhere does it state they work exclusively in U.S. dollars as it is shown to me in AUD - even at the billing stage.

Where do I stand on this?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Why do you need to know about whether they work exclusively in US dollars? What is the issue?

Jasmine1234

11 August 2016
Apologies, I was interrupted when writing and must of pressed send -

The website told me I would be charged $139.95 and I was charged $189.62 which is the equivalent in US dollars. I emailed the company and they explained this and sent me a screenshot where it apparently says will be converted to USD, however, nowhere on the website on my computer did it say I will be charged the USD equivalent of $139.95.

I have sent screenshots to them explains this and I was wondering if I had a leg to stand on and what my rights are.

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Did it charge your credit card or through paypal? With paypal you should be able to resolve the matter by lodging a dispute. If you paid by credit card, would report it as an unauthorised transaction through your bank and get them to investigate it and cancel the transaction and get your money back. Unfortunately you are not protected by any consumer laws or any other law that can easily be enforced since the transaction is with an overseas merchant.