QLD Minor Caught Shoplifting - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anonymous019

29 August 2017
On holiday, I was caught shoplifting and it's been 2 months and I just got called be into the station... I am 15 and it was worth $20-$30. I was very straight forward and I behaved and apologised when I was there.

I am a first time offender. They want to decide whether it should be on my record or not. What do I need to know and what might happen under criminal law?

Nate Kennedy

4 September 2017
Im not much help but reading through the other forums it sseemsthis is a very low level offense. if they do try charging you apply for diversion and you will avoid a record.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Given your age, circumstances and the amount involved I would think a cautioning would be appropriate.

Khaleesi

6 September 2017
My opinion is probably not that helpful since this is second hand information and I don't know much of the details, sorry :(

Anyways from what I know I've had a few friends who were caught shoplifting as first time offenders and the worst they got was a ban from the shop/shopping centre for about 6-12months but where I live is pretty small so not a lot of things get as taken as serious as some of the bigger cities. Really sorry my answer is so vague, I wish you the best of luck don't worry too much :)