VIC Minimum wage

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
18 June 2020
Currently I am in a full time sales job. My base salary is $38325 including super. After super I am paid less than the minimum wage. However I can potentially earn commission. This isn’t guaranteed though as I need to hit a certain amount per month. If I do say to my employer that I deserve to be paid the minimum wage as a base, can they just turn around and say that my commission cancels it out? Or does my base have to be minimum wage

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The answer may depend on your award. What award covers your employment?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Sounds like your so-called wage is actually an advance against your commission(s)?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I’m in sales at a gym so I’m not covered by an award

Unless there is a contracting arrangement, which there can be but is unlikely, I'd say you are covered by the Fitness Industry Award.

If this is the case you are paid below the minimum wage.

If you make a fuss over your pay at this point in time, there's a good chance you'll lose your job and now is not a good time to be out of work.

The good thing here is you have 6 years in which to make a claim. I do not know how long you have been working there.

Last edited: