VIC Mental Health Impairment - How to Prevent Sale of Property?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
D

Deleted member 14848

Hello,

I know someone who has a significant mental health impairment and they own a property but this property has 3 other occupants (the person's children), one occupant has a intellectual disability.

The owner of the property is highly manipulative and has been diagnosed with a significant mental health condition that they are not seeking treatment for and deny they have. The owner of the property claims they will be selling the property. This will significantly impact the three occupants as they will be rendered homeless if the sale goes ahead.

What can be done to ensure the owner of the property is not able to sell their property due to the circumstances involved? That is, the person is not fit to dispose of the property due to their functioning being impacted by a severe mental health impairment.

MartyK

4 June 2016
From what position comes your actual interest in the sale of property? As a former partner/ other parent of the children? One of the children? The property owner?

How old are the other 3 'child' occupants?

D

Deleted member 14848

Well, I am a child of the owner of the property. I am choosing my words carefully because if the individual in question finds this post they are unstable and may interpret it as an attack. The owner of the property has said he will cut me out of the will.

They are controlling and manipulative and very abusive. The other ages of the occupants are 32, 30 and one is 19 but with a diagnosed intellectual disability.

Thanks

MartyK

4 June 2016
I acknowledge that you have said that your father has been diagnosed with a mental health issue, but is there any way to prove that your father is incapacitated in his decision making processes? Do your siblings share the same viewpoint as you?

It will be difficult to dispute the sale of a property both owned and occupied by your father.

D

Deleted member 14848

I acknowledge that you have said that your father has been diagnosed with a mental health issue, but is there any way to prove that your father is incapacitated in his decision making processes? Do your siblings share the same viewpoint as you?

It will be difficult to dispute the sale of a property both owned and occupied by your father.
Huh? I made a typo. I meant to say they.

Please don't jump to conclusions on a public forum, it's a very difficult situation. I am not sure if the person concerned would be tracking down this post as they are controlling and dominating.

Anyway, I don't know how to obtain such evidence. Perhaps an FOI request.

Is there anyway to delete this thread? The purpose is over

Thanks