NSW Meeting of minds?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tooms

15 March 2021
Exercise 2

An Offer you Can’t Refuse . . . or can you?

Jane advertises her home-built ultra light aircraft for sale in the classified section of the local newspaper. The advertised price is “$5,000 ono”. Peter, a friend of Jane, phones Jane and says:

“I’ll give you $4,500 cash in hand for your ultra light.”

Jane replies: “I’ll think about it and let you know by tomorrow.”

Five minutes after this conversation a Mr Jones phones inquiring about the ultra light and offers $4,500. Jane accepts and Mr Jones pays a deposit of $1 that afternoon.

Peter phones Jane later that afternoon and says he has reconsidered and is prepared to pay the full $5,000. Advise Jane as to her legal obligations in respect of the sale of the ultra light.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Sorry, we don't write people's assignments for them here.

Tooms

15 March 2021
I don't want it written at all. I was only looking for a direction or guidance. No dramas and thanks for your response.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Consider the elements of a contract and when a contract is created as your starting points.

For future information - Don't just post a question without giving us any context about what you need help with and, where relevant, your thoughts and reasoning. We're generally happy to guide but, as Tim has said, we don't do the work for you.

Tooms

15 March 2021
Okay thanks. As this is my first time and I'm only just beginning my journey of studies I'll take that on board.

Cheers