QLD Medical Negligence Claims

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Logman

2 July 2017
My enquiry relates to the statute of limitations on a medical negligence claim.
My current understanding in Qld is that you have 3 years in which to make a claim, however, when does the 3 years commence.
For example, if an incorrect diagnosis caused a person to be classified as mentally impaired and thus their finances were enforced under the control of State Trustees for 2 years, until they proved they were mentally competent, does the statute of limitations commence at the end of the 2 years, or does it commence from the date of the original diagnosis.
For over 2 years they were deemed mentally incompetent to commence legal proceedings, neither did they have any control of their finances.
Surely there must be an exception to the general 3 year rule?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Where do you suggest is the negligence?

Logman

2 July 2017
Hi Tim,
Thanks for your enquiry.
The negligence is in the Medical Diagnosis which has caused tremendous physical and emotional pain and suffering, as well as enormous financial loss.
I have the evidence to prove that the diagnosis was incorrect.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Speak to a lawyer who works in the field of professional negligence.

ErinB

7 December 2017
My enquiry relates to the statute of limitations on a medical negligence claim.
My current understanding in Qld is that you have 3 years in which to make a claim, however, when does the 3 years commence.
For example, if an incorrect diagnosis caused a person to be classified as mentally impaired and thus their finances were enforced under the control of State Trustees for 2 years, until they proved they were mentally competent, does the statute of limitations commence at the end of the 2 years, or does it commence from the date of the original diagnosis.
For over 2 years they were deemed mentally incompetent to commence legal proceedings, neither did they have any control of their finances.
Surely there must be an exception to the general 3 year rule?
Hi there, could you please message me as I had the same thing happen to me! Cheers Erin