QLD Manager not allowing access to apartment

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JenS

9 November 2016
Hi all. Long story short, located QLD. Tenant living in hotel serviced apartments, no written lease agreement, fell behind in rent for 4 weeks. Given deadline to today. Paid owing rent via transfer and sent receipt proof to management who work on behalf of owner. Tenant refused access to apartment for 3 weeks whilst rent was owed. Management claims they have full power to have locked out tenant from accessing apartment and belongings for 3 weeks. Tenants requested access when met deadline and still being denied. Advice please. What should tenant do? Can she call police to get access?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Hard to comment without knowing the exact terms of the accommodation. I'd be telling the manager and owner they will be responsible for the costs I incur as a result of them denying me access to my belongings.

Reactions: JenS

JenS

9 November 2016
Tenant moved into unit and stayed for 9 months in a serviced apartment. Paid per week (decreased nightly fee but don't charge per night, charge per week) and agreed to stay long term. Moved to larger unit in same complex with different owner. Paid a 2 week bond for new unit, has resided there for 3 months but not allowed access for last 4 weeks due to no rent paid for 4 weeks. She has been threatened with police and locked out.
Paid yesterday via transfer and still denied access.
There is no lease but due to being in the apartments for such a long period the tenant should be seen as a tenant not a guest and be protected surely?
She has paid a 2 week bond / deposit. The access swipe key has been blocked.
Please share anymore advice.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au