QLD Malpractice? Ethics Charge?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

c0nfus3d

18 July 2018
I have engaged with a mental health conglomerate on and off for over a year.

Besides the shuffling to different branches, psychiatrists, counsellors, etc, I've had some issues with procuring a prescription for a certain medication.

Quetiapine is a medication more commonly known for its psychiatric properties but is also used to treat insomnia, hyperactivity, and high blood pressure, among other ailments.

Because of its antipsychotic properties, the prescription for this medication cannot be renewed by a GP without a letter from a psychiatrist.

I have been on this medication on and off for about six years.

I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder, complex PTSD, generalised anxiety disorder and a sleep disorder for some time.

This conglomerate had made no attempt to undertake any psychiatric evaluations for me at any time.

The first time I went to them to ask for a renewal letter, they included the phrase "bipolar symptoms" in said letter. I was not forewarned. There were no signs pointing to this diagnosis.

This letter was added to my medical history without my knowledge.

More recently, I needed a new letter from them. I was told they had faxed said letter to my GP. They had not. I ran out of my quetiapine. This is a medication you are not recommended to stop taking abruptly. I called and asked them to send it again. After two months, I was able to receive a new prescription from my GP.

The letter they had sent this time said that I had "a Type A personality structure." This is complex, but basially implies I have an unidentified personality disorder, involving erratic behaviour, among other things.

Again, I was not forewarned. I was not asked. I had no idea.

And again, this letter was added to my medical record.

I am sure there is some kind of ethical/malpractice charge I can make here. Is that possible? What would that look like?

Thank you.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Unlikely you have a case over the letters. If this is what the medical professionals believe then they are entitled to their medical opinions.

wrt: no medication for 2 months. If this has caused you damage of some kind then you may have a case but it may prove difficult to show the lack of medication was the root cause of the damage as you already describe pre-existing conditions.