QLD Making a Will and trust

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kez26

15 May 2017
Hi. Regarding a Will. Should I pass on I'd like assets to go to my son. And perhaps be accessible to my son at a certain age only. Also like it to be made secure that his dad is unable to access the funds. I have already made my son the beneficiary of share and super etc. However feel this could still be accessible or apposed by my ex (the father). Any advise would be helpful and appreciated.

Cairnsdad

10 January 2016
Hi Kez

I have a little experience here because I had to get a new Will post separation/divorce.

I paid for advice to have my will changed and updated post separation/divorce because like you I wanted to have anything go directly to my sons and bypass their mother who would obviously automatically get full care of them after my death which meant she then got control of their inheritance. However I wanted to make sure that funds could be made available for schooling etc.

It isn't cheap but in a nutshell I ended up paying to set up a Family Trust who would become the beneficiary of my estate with measures in place to ensure my siblings would be able to distribute funds to my sons for schooling etc until they turn 18.

You need professional advice if you are truly worried.

Reactions: Kez26

Kez26

15 May 2017
Hi Kez

I have a little experience here because I had to get a new Will post separation/divorce.

I paid for advice to have my will changed and updated post separation/divorce because like you I wanted to have anything go directly to my sons and bypass their mother who would obviously automatically get full care of them after my death which meant she then got control of their inheritance. However I wanted to make sure that funds could be made available for schooling etc.

It isn't cheap but in a nutshell I ended up paying to set up a Family Trust who would become the beneficiary of my estate with measures in place to ensure my siblings would be able to distribute funds to my sons for schooling etc until they turn 18.

You need professional advice if you are truly worried.
Thank u so much for your reply... so I'm clear...Itake the lawyer that can set up the family trust?

Cairnsdad

10 January 2016
Hi Kez

You will definitely find firms who will do everything for you from start to finish for a fee. In my case I requested that my lawyer work specifically with my existing accountant as I had a long relationship with with them through my business and it was a little more complex due to business assets but my assumption is all law firms will have an accounting firm they work with as a default.

So I guess to answer your question simply, yes your lawyer should be able to do everything for you based on your wishes (if it's legally possible of course).