LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

WA Magistrates Court Civil Matters Private and Confidential?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Ash, 17 January 2015.

1. Ash

Ash Well-Known Member

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Matters as a general rule are not private, though there can be exceptions to the rule.

Courts are meant to be open as we operate in a democracy and justice must be seen to be done. Secret courts are bad.

3. Ash

Ash Well-Known Member

I am lodging two Civil Matters under Australian Consumer Act With poor service provided. I was considering going to the media to see if they were interested in doing a story around Australian Consumer Law and one person's experience with services that are being provided. Hence the reason for asking.

Any thoughts or risks with taking something like this to the media? Any strategy suggestions?

4. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

The media will do whatever they feel like doing and their take on the story may be different to yours. Can't advise on risks, not enough detail.

5. Ash

Ash Well-Known Member

Husband works for the media so totally understand the industry. Risks I meant in whether going public with this opens me up to litigation but given it is public information....