WA Magistrates Court Civil Matters Private and Confidential?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

WiserNow

10 September 2014
Does anyone know if the Civil Matters heard through the Magistrates Court are private and confidential?

Are there any searchable records under Privacy and Australian Law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Matters as a general rule are not private, though there can be exceptions to the rule.

Courts are meant to be open as we operate in a democracy and justice must be seen to be done. Secret courts are bad.

WiserNow

10 September 2014
I am lodging two Civil Matters under Australian Consumer Act With poor service provided. I was considering going to the media to see if they were interested in doing a story around Australian Consumer Law and one person's experience with services that are being provided. Hence the reason for asking.

Any thoughts or risks with taking something like this to the media? Any strategy suggestions?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The media will do whatever they feel like doing and their take on the story may be different to yours. Can't advise on risks, not enough detail.

WiserNow

10 September 2014
Husband works for the media so totally understand the industry. Risks I meant in whether going public with this opens me up to litigation but given it is public information....