NSW Loss of Aged Pension Due to Human Services' Assets Test?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Vic.Tory

8 December 2016
I (husband) am receiving aged pension, but my wife is not old enough. The recent assets test by the Department of Human Servies included my wife's assets (sole owner property) against the husband's single pension, which has resulted in no single pension payable to the husband.

I could understand if both husband and wife were eligible for aged pension. Something doesn't seem right/ is unreasonable.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Follow the instructions in the letter for getting a review of the decision.

Reactions: @thelawbundle

@thelawbundle

27 October 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Vic.Tory,

Legal Aid NSW also provides free assistance on social security / asset test issues - further information is available here.

If you decide to proceed as per Tim's advice, they may be able to assist you with representation.

Best wishes.

Lart

2 January 2017
Unfortunately, when only one member of a couple becomes eligible for the Aged Pension the Assets and Income of 'both' people are used to calculate the Pension Amount. Also be aware that in the situation when one member of a couple is not eligible for the Aged Pension, the member who is eligible will only receive half the 'Married Couple Pension Rate' and not the full 'Single Rate'!

Your Pension Amount will be calculated using the Asset Test or the Income Test, and your Pension amount will be whichever test gives the lowest amount.