NSW Locked out by a bank

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kobo1

3 November 2021
My Partner owns a home in a small, rural city and I maintain it for her doing the yard and building maintenance. She lives with me and 3 days ago I went to do some work there and the locks had been changed and locks had been fitted to the gates as well. She has received no correspondence about this from her bank whatsoever and, as far as she knew, her mortgage was up to date. Is this legal?
She rang her bank and they said that they have sent her advice on this but I clear the mail from her letterbox at least once a week and often more than that.
Please help...
Kobo

Atticus

6 February 2019
There are around 9 steps involved before a lender can do what you describe, changing locks is the last step on the list. See HERE for more information.

So first of all, you need to know where the bank has been sending correspondence.
Who has been responsible for paying mortgage & how has the mortgage been getting paid.
Finally, is it *possible* that your partner is not being totally honest with you.

Kobo1

3 November 2021
My Partner owns a home in a small, rural city and I maintain it for her doing the yard and building maintenance. She lives with me and 3 days ago I went to do some work there and the locks had been changed and locks had been fitted to the gates as well. She has received no correspondence about this from her bank whatsoever and, as far as she knew, her mortgage was up to date. Is this legal?
She rang her bank and they said that they have sent her advice on this but I clear the mail from her letterbox at least once a week and often more than that.
Please help...
Kobo
Thanks so much...I will show this to my Partner in the morning.