VIC Living in University Residence - Reimbursement for Laptop?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

leighknee

25 October 2016
Hi all,

I live on University Residence. For the past year, the drainage of our laundry sink has been backing up when the washing machine has been draining into it (not always, just sometimes). I've filed a number of complaints to have it fixed but to no avail (I have copies).

Recently, I was leaving and left my expensive video editing laptop in its bag rested against the door in the laundry while talking to a housemate, and when I'd come back the drainage had backed up and soaked the laptop.

I've spoken to Residential Services whom I'm on good terms with, to tell them to fix the drainage and to see if they would cover the cost of the laptop. I've had the repair cost quoted from a computer shop and it verified that it was indeed water damage + took pictures of the scene once it flooded to show Res.

They have said that in the residential agreement that they do not take any responsibility for tenants property damage, and so will not cover the cost of repair / purchase a new one (as it would cost less).

I was wondering if I am protected by property law, if they are legally bound to give remuneration considering the number of times I've tried to get them to fix the drainage problem.

Cheers

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Nope.