NSW Lied to Police - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JOH

10 October 2016
Hi All,

I am very scared right now as I have technically lied to the police. I am 15 and was the victim of grooming. At the first formal interview, I was very scared and just focused on my photos (explicit) being seen or coming out. Now these photos were sent to the defendant so he does have possession of them.

Anyway, there was a photo vault on the phone and in that there were these photos. At this interview, they asked me whether I have had access to the photo vault and I replied, "No I haven't" but in truth I did have access to it and used it. I said that only the defendant had access to it. I said this because at that moment, the embarrassment from the photos was all that was on my mind. Now I'm worried that now he has gotten charged with possessing child abuse material just off my phone. Yes, he does have those photos, but the actual photo vault was not used by him.

I am planning on telling the police the truth and the same explanation next time they come but I am so scared that I might get in a lot of trouble. Please, please advise me on what will happen and what i should do. This was about 2 months ago. Also, my intention was never to mislead police or make a false statement for my gain it was simply the initial embarrassment.

I would appreciate any help. Please.

Thanks,

Lance

31 October 2015
Making a false or misleading statement is taken seriously by the courts, but don't stress too much. From what you have said, you are an underage victim of a crime and under a lot of stress and pressure. The police should be understanding of your situation and the mistakes young people can make.

If you have a family member that can help you might want to contact either Legal Aid or you can find a lawyer to talk to in you local area via the following link: https://lawtap.com/au/

They should be able to advise you on what steps to take.

Reactions: JOH

JOH

10 October 2016
Hi Lance,

Thank you for your reply. I hope you don't mind me just clarifying a few things as I am really scared.

1) Will it make a huge difference what I said because he did have possession of the photos anyway, just not the photo lock on the phone?

2) Is there a chance that police would not have found the photos on his phone? Thus charged him with possession of child abuse material just off my false statement on the photo lock being his?

3) If I do tell the police the truth how do I do this? And what will be the most likely outcome?

And just a side note, I said this particular statement during the very first time I was taken to the police station and it wasn't an 'official' statement at all, the police took notes though. And I can't contact a lawyer as my parents don't understand at all what has happened and don't understand what the fuss is about, which is hard for me as I have absolutely no support from home.

Once again I am so sorry to be bothering you like this but I would truly, truly appreciate a reply. Thanks again!

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi JOH,

There are still a lot of variables. The discovery of child abuse material on his phone may depend on the grounds for the search but you can't get too caught up on the search process.

Without going into the detailed particulars of your case, I can only suggest you should speak with a lawyer. Can I suggest you make contact with legal aid if you are financially under the threshold: http://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/

JOH

10 October 2016
Hi Lance,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It is greatly appreciated.

D

Deleted member 12925

Hi Joh

The best advice I could give to you is to remove your post from this forum. It is better to get confidential advice on these matters, particularly when you could be making admissions that you have done something that you feel is wrong, which may lead you into further trouble down the track.

I would be happy to speak to you for 'no fee', and discuss your predicament with you in a more confidential setting to ensure you get the correct advice. I can be contacted at: Glenn Thexton, Melbourne Lawyer: Book Online | LawTap

Reactions: Lance and JOH

JOH

10 October 2016
Hi Glen,

Yes, that would be a good idea. The problem is I'm only 15 and my parents are not supportive at all with regard to these matters. I would really like to contact you but how can I go about this considering my circumstances?

The police are not informing me of anything that is happening so some advice from a lawyer will really help. Thank you so much for your offer and help, if there is a way I can contact you please let me know, but meeting in person might be hard due to transportation and parents, but anything else, I am open to.

Thanks,

D

Deleted member 12925

Hi Glen,

Yes, that would be a good idea. The problem is I'm only 15 and my parents are not supportive at all with regard to these matters. I would really like to contact you but how can I go about this considering my circumstances? The police are not informing me of anything that is happening so some advice from lawyer will really help. Thank you so much for your offer and advice, if there is a way I can contact you please let me know, but meeting in person might be hard due to transportation and parents, but anything else, I am open to.

Thanks,
Joh

Hi Joh

You may contact me direct via Glenn Thexton, Melbourne Lawyer: Book Online | LawTap - I will be able to get back to you.

Reactions: Lance

JOH

10 October 2016
Hi Glen,

Thank you very much for the offer! I will most likely contact you via email first by tomorrow. Is that ok with you?