VIC Lent money to British friend in Dubai and ran away, moved and married in Melbourne to Australian

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Paul Ailincai

14 June 2017
Hello,

I am Paul, I live in Dubai for the past 12 years. In 2008 Oct, me, my friend James and then his fiancé decided to start a business together. I took a personal loan in Dubai of approximately 35.000 USD. They then pulled out and since I was already approved for the loan they asked me to give them the money and they will pay the loan for me as they had a huge opportunity with their existing business and they were going to hit the jackpot.

I have valid document copies to attest that they were actually bankrupt, with unpaid employees, fined by the local administration for illegal changing of product labels and a huge unpaid loan into a bank.

They lied to me nicely with sweet eyes over a dinner and they were my best friends at that time.

I gave them the money. She left Dubai around beginning of 2009 as she was probably going to go to jail in Dubai. He left soon after, in February with a one way flight to Melbourne. They paid my installment for a couple of months and they stopped paying. Then they would pay small amounts from time to time. She opened a yoga studio in Melbourne and he is a Michelin starred chef.

They stopped any communication and reply to my emails under the "protection" of thousands miles.

Just for you to understand my situation at that time, I was an assistant manager in hospitality and the installment was half my salary. I've been practically a slave to these people for a long period of time.
I am a Romanian citizen and I knew my friend from a contract he had with a Hilton in Bucharest/Romania and then we met again in the gulf and had a lot of common friends and we also worked together at a Hilton in Dubai.

I need support to get them in front of the law, I have proof for everything, extensive email communication, bank statements, documents which attest that they were in troubles in Dubai. I want to claim my money down to 1 cent at the average bank interest for the entire period (8years) plus damages for a miserable life style for years which they knew about and chose not to care although she is sister to the wife of a very rich owner of bakeries in Melbourne. I believe the loan, alone evaluates above 100.000 USD at present (after 8 years).

Please help. This is more like a desperate "please help".

Thank you,
Respectfully,
Paul

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Paul,
I wish you luck, but its going to cost money to pursue them. There are a lot of people that flee the middle east owing considerable sums of money.

Paul Ailincai

14 June 2017
Hi Lance, thanks a lot for your reply. I thought that if my case was good enough, someone, perhaps a young individual working his way up, would be interested in a % of the recoverable value which could be a 25-35.000 USD commission. I don't know much about your part of the world and how things and interests are going in the law system of your region. Precedence is also possibly a good opportunity for me in this case or maybe the opposite ?!.