Lemon car, what can I do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Castle

23 April 2020
I purchased a car in Nov, 2019. My sister's first car and learner car so we have not driven it much (under 3000kms), i got it serviced yesterday cause it was running sluggish and drinking fuel, and found a lot of issues with the car and my mechanic said it should of not been sold with these issues. Suspension being the biggest problem and its sucking air thtough the engine, there are 9 problems found. I contacted the dealer i brought it off and he will not do a thing for me. Even though he sold us an unsafe car.
I do not know much about consumer laws, and do not know what steps to take next.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you.
Can not select state for some reason- Victoria)

Atticus

6 February 2019
I purchased a car in Nov, 2019
That's 5 months ago!.... Going to be very difficult to apportion blame to the dealer selling you the vehicle with the faults you describe. Could have happened since... Even if you took it to court, you would need a proper mechanics report & still have to convince a magistrate that these were known issues at the time of sale & the dealer had an obligation to repair under Vic used car laws...

Al I can suggest is you call the Vic consumer protection body for an opinion/advice

Reactions: Castle

Castle

23 April 2020
That's 5 months ago!.... Going to be very difficult to apportion blame to the dealer selling you the vehicle with the faults you describe. Could have happened since... Even if you took it to court, you would need a proper mechanics report & still have to convince a magistrate that these were known issues at the time of sale & the dealer had an obligation to repair under Vic used car laws...

Al I can suggest is you call the Vic consumer protection body for an opinion/advice
Thank you so much for your reply. All the suspension cracked and severily damaged, I know it has been 5 months, but also the car has barely been driven by me or my sister (I can prove that we have not caused the damages). I will take that step you recommend. Thank you!