WA Legality on not processing pay?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Blits24

28 May 2019
Hi there, I'm a backpacker here working in WA and I have recently finished work on a farm and moved to another job.

My final pay from the previous fortnight wasnt processed as they say they weren't sure where my time sheet was (and now they do have it.) I received no contact from them leading up to pay day and now they are telling me I have to wait another fortnight to receive the pay. Being a backpacker this isn't something I can afford, do I have any rights here or do I have to wait?

My contract specifies fortnightly pay.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Call the employer and remind them they have a contract with you and that unless they pay asap they will be in breach of their contract.

Blits24

28 May 2019
Call the employer and remind them they have a contract with you and that unless they pay asap they will be in breach of their contract.
Thanks for your reply. I've done this with both my manager and the accounting department based in Mel and I'm being told they're "looking into it but for now it will be processed in the following pay period". I'm clearly being given the run around as it's nearly been three weeks - do I have any options here?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You can call me and give some details and I'll chase it up via a phone call, otherwise any other lawyer who will do this for free.

Are you likely to suffer $ damages as a result of them not paying ontime?