NSW Legal to Use Son's Facebook Messages Without Consent?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mum79bronte

17 August 2015
Does anyone know if its legal to use a child's (he is 16) Facebook messages that were taken (screenshots) without his knowledge or consent? They include a group chat message so have other kids' names and messages listed too. They are now part of my ex's affidavit, seems objectionable but not sure.

Any help?

S

Sophea

How were they obtained? Did the person who took screen shots of them hack into the account in order to get them?

mum2many

1 August 2016
Yes, my son thinks he had some sort of recording program to record his passwords because he accessed it without his permission or knowledge. My other concern is it was a 'group chat' message so other kids names are there too (without their knowledge or permission).

sammy01

27 September 2015
I fail to see what the content of facebook could contribute towards a family law case.

S

Sophea

Hacking into someone else's social media account can amount to a criminal offence. Check this out:

Mum79bronte

17 August 2015
I couldn't see a link, Sophea?

I wasn't sure of his 'rights' as he is 16, so not sure if that came under something a parent would be able to do.

Sammy: I don't want to provide the content of the messages but it does contribute to our case.