QLD Legal sole responsibility

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
24 February 2018
I divorced my ex husband in the UK and left with his permission and the courts. Since then he has failed to maintain contact with our daughter, while I’m not distraught about this as there was a history of violence. I am know in a situation where I need to make major decisions for my daughter and get passports etc. she has dual citizenship. His last contact was a snide email about my daughter’s half brother’s birthday card, 19months ago. Before that I had to hassle him about contact via birthday card etc. He hasn’t contributed to child maintenance since we separated in 2014.
I was wondering if it’s worth the hassle of sole legal responsibility through the courts especially as I have a new partner who wants to be a father to her?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Nope - you'd be better off offering him a case of beer if he agrees to return the passport form. Every other decision you can pretty much sort without him. Passport is the only one where both parents signatures are required... That case of beer for him to sign, will be a hell of a lot cheaper than going through court to get sole parental responsibility AND you could fail anyways. Shared Parental Responsibility is an assumption. It is not something a parent can agree to relinquish (?? I think???) so you would have to get a magistrate to grant it and they might not.

AllForHer

23 July 2014

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
You do not need both parents signature for a UK passport and there is a specific form to get an Aussie one without a 2nd signature depending on the circumstance here