VIC Legal for Private University to Discriminate Against Previous Student?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lessie

11 April 2016
Hello,

I've been having issues with a private university since last year and I have finally finished my study there. However, the staff continued to discriminate against me because of a disability and refusing to allow me to join in activities provided for graduates, saying that I required "unreasonable support" because of the disability. They refused to respond to my enquiry on what support they are referring to and I have not made requests for any support at all. They also removed me from the mailing list for activities at the university.

There were issues before, not saying I have no responsibility but I truly believe that these are caused by the inappropriate actions of the staff and counsellors towards me (including false accusations, banning me from places, staff and classes, breach of privacy, etc). The manager of the campus hates me personally, likely because of the disability. Because of their treatment, I was depressed and anxious, lost so many friends and was not able to form a normal relationship with anyone at the uni.

I really want to take some action on this irresponsible college and was wondering if they are allowed to exclude me from graduate activities? They have given me these reasons:

1. They are owned by a private company
2. I require unreasonable support
3. The activities are free

Do they count as a goods and services provider in this case since I am not doing a course right now? Or would the law cover graduates as well?

Any help would be much appreciated!

AllForHer

23 July 2014
As a private University, it's extremely likely they have retained the right to exclude anyone they wish from such activities as a term of the their contract.

lessie

11 April 2016
Thanks, I see that they may have a right, but would it still be considered as unlawful discrimination if their judgement is based on a disability?

lessie

11 April 2016
Sorry I think I misunderstand you. Do you mean that they can discriminate anyone but the laws can't deal with it?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Here are the reasons they've given for your exclusion:

1. They are owned by a private company
2. You require unreasonable support
3. The activities are free

In what way do any of these reflect discrimination based on disability, or discrimination at all?

lessie

11 April 2016
They said in an email that I required "unreasonable support" because of a disability, and that's the reason they excluded me. However this is only based on their assumption based on my disability when I haven't actually requested them.

Is there anything I can do?

lessie

11 April 2016
To be honest, they have been making assumptions based on my disability diagnosis and treated me accordingly in a way that made me feel horrible for nearly 2 years. I actually never required any support in any of my other study! Is this discrimination that they won't treat me equally to other students because of disability?

I would appreciate any help!