NSW Legal Fees Being Paid Out by Deceased Estate?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Steve500

10 March 2015
In NSW, if your Biological Parent dies and you as a biological adult-child don't have a lot of money to make a family provision claim to challenge the deceased's will, what is the likelihood that your legal fees will be paid for out of the deceased estate?

This is on the basis that there is some money in the estate e.g. 500-800K, heck even less e.g. 300K. Bear in mind maybe other beneficiaries e.g. Partner/past partner's/deceased siblings, etc.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney

Steve500

10 March 2015
1) Curious if laws in NSW have changed about biological children being able to have there legal fees paid by the deceased estate(if the deceased is a biological parent).

2) Concerned my biological mother will shove a lot of money in her self-managed super account and how that will impact me getting my legal fees paid, or she will shove her money in her partners super thus making it harder for me to get my legal fees paid(but NSW has notional estate laws I believe).

My mother has been seriously ill recently and may only have 1-year max to live. So hence why I've brought up this legal-topic again, and wanted general opinions on it.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
After 60 posts where you have repeatedly sought formal legal advice
beyond what is possible in this forum, my opinion is - get yourself a lawyer.