QLD Leaving the country before citizenship ceremony

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

juahime

20 December 2021
Hello,

I currently live in Brisbane and hold a Permanent Residence (through Permanent Employer Sponsored or Nominated Visa 186). My VISA states that I "Must not arrive after" 23 June 2022.

I have also been approved citizenship, however, I have not received the ceremony invitation yet. This was approved in May 2021, and I am awaiting the letter inviting me to the ceremony.

Due to professional reasons, I have now accepted a job in Europe, and I will be moving out of Australia in March 2022. My last day of work with my Australian employer is the end of February.

I had a few questions related to the possibility that the citizenship ceremony is scheduled after my departure from Australia.
What are the consequences if I am invited to the ceremony later than the date I leave and I do not attend the ceremony?
Would I lose the chance to become Australian?
Would I also lose my permanent residency in Australia?
Can I ever return to Australia?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
juahime

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hello,

I currently live in Brisbane and hold a Permanent Residence (through Permanent Employer Sponsored or Nominated Visa 186). My VISA states that I "Must not arrive after" 23 June 2022.

I have also been approved citizenship, however, I have not received the ceremony invitation yet. This was approved in May 2021, and I am awaiting the letter inviting me to the ceremony.

Due to professional reasons, I have now accepted a job in Europe, and I will be moving out of Australia in March 2022. My last day of work with my Australian employer is the end of February.

I had a few questions related to the possibility that the citizenship ceremony is scheduled after my departure from Australia.
What are the consequences if I am invited to the ceremony later than the date I leave and I do not attend the ceremony?
Would I lose the chance to become Australian?
Would I also lose my permanent residency in Australia?
Can I ever return to Australia?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
juahime

1. No, you do not become an Australian citizen until you take the oath at the ceremony.
Taking the oath is literally the final legal step in the process.

2. There are sometimes circumstances where ceremonies can be held on what Home Affairs calls "an exceptional basis".
However, without knowing details, I can't speculate on how likely it is that
"I need to have it early because I got a better job in < wherever >"
is enough to be "exceptional".

3. You can contact Home Affairs' Global Service Centre and discuss this question directly. It not the first time that it's come up.

Have a read of this (scroll down to the relevant paragraphs)