NSW Leaving Kids with Grandparents to Travel - Consequences in Family Court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lost221

20 October 2016
If a parent travels internationally for 3 days (saying goodbye to a terminally ill friend), but leaves their kids with a family member (grandparents), is there any consequence to the traveling parent for the family court case? Such as used against them/accused of not having kids best interest?

MartyK

4 June 2016
If the children are usually in your care, there are no welfare issues in leaving the children in the grandparents care and there is no order that specifies that the other parent is to be first option to care for the children in your absence/ if you cannot, and you are not unreasonably withholding the children, then the answer is no.

If above applies, I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Courtroom if/when any argument is raised that you did the wrong thing. If the other side has a lawyer they'd know better than to press the issue!

Last edited:

Migz

20 November 2016
Four things;

1. Have you asked the other parent if they would like to look after the children? First and foremost...
2. How old are the children?
3. Are there any court orders currently in place?
4. And the main question you have to ask yourself, if the shoe was on the other foot, would like what you are doing being done to you?

Cheers

MartyK

4 June 2016
1. Have you asked the other parent if they would like to look after the children? First and foremost...

4. And the main question you have to ask yourself, if the shoe was on the other foot, would like what you are doing being done to you?

While I acknowledge you are entitled to a viewpoint Migz, and that you are going through the Courts yourself, the OP's question related to 'could he/she get into trouble, with the Court, if she/he took certain actions.

The OP's integrity is not and should not be in question, especially with the limited information provided.

Remember, not all cases, attitudes or circumstances of separated families are the same!

Lost221

20 October 2016
I previously travelled internationally, leaving the kids with the other parent, and there were welfare concerns which made me cut the trip short. However, the parent has later used this against me in court, and lied saying I'd abandoned the children, and neglected them, which is why the hope that 3 days won't raise such a false accusation.

I would leave them with the other parent, but there are welfare concerns when they're with that parent. Neglect, injuries, etc.

Hoang Trang

22 July 2016
I'm kind of in a opposite situation. I have taken my children overseas for holiday twice, two weeks at a time with the other parents consent. The other parent has also travelled overseas twice, also 2 weeks at a time and kids were in my care.

Now that court proceedings have begun she has made allegations that I neglect them and she fears for their safety. Kids were living with me at the time

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Children also have a right to enjoy a relationship with their grandparents. The Court isn't going to place much weight on travel abroad for three days unless there's an order not to leave the children with their grandparents.