QLD Lease renewal, rent increase

Discussion in 'Commercial Law Forum' started by L Perry, 30 July 2018.

Tags:
  1. L Perry

L Perry Member

HI. Have leased premises for 13 years. Previously 3 x 3years, but moved to 6 monthly, with options for renewal, as was considering selling business.

Have asked to go back to 3years x 3, rather than 6 monthly, but the increase in monthly rental was high (over 11% and more). Thought I would be better off exercising the 6 monthly option on the existing contract. But the landlord now wants to increase the monthly rate by 27.5% which he describes as 'Market Rent'.

I have contacted agents for other premises and have been quoted a much lower rate. I could move, although I have significant investment in fitout, etc. So not the preferred option.

Can the landlord charge whatever he likes? If I am simply exercising an option which has a stated 5% increase per signing (6 months), can he change the terms?
    Thanks

2. Rob Legat - SBPL

LawTap Verified Lawyer

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Adam1user

Adam1user Well-Known Member

I think this one is obvious, the contract should state about the rental increase rate and how often, most commercial contracts that I have seen have the clause in them, if not, then see which Act or Law that applies (As Rob asked).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...