NSW Lease and Unapproved Tenants - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

condorman

2 August 2018
Hi,

I have had tenants in my property on a 12 months lease since March 2018, managed by a real estate company.

Prior to the current tenants moving in, I approved two tenants via email and the new tenants moved into the property a week later. Today I found out that the tenants who are currently on the 12 month lease are different tenants than the ones I approved via email. I have no idea who the current tenants are other than their names.

The real estate agent has said sorry it's happened and they don't know how it happened as the property manager who arranged it has left, etc., etc.

I was hoping someone may be able to help me with my legal rights in this situation? I have been with this real estate for a number of years without any issue, but I feel this breach of trust is a bridge too far.

Thanks in advance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What do you want to happen?

condorman

2 August 2018
Hi Rob,

At the minimum I would like to cancel any agreement I have with them, change to a new agency, and report them.

Thanks.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You may be able to do that anyway. Look at the contract you signed.

Personally I'd speak with the agency owner, vent a little, then see how the agency owner responds before taking any action. If your property is being looked after and you are receiving rent on time then they may have done you a favour.