VIC Leaking pipes in building garage and damaged to car

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

doozie58

1 March 2018
Hi all, I have a strange one, some new pipes that were installed in my rental apartment garage leaked fluids onto my car that I can't clean off.

The pipes were installed by one of the business that runs from the ground floor of the building

I have been given quotes of $800 to properly remove the fluids (I think it is food fluids).

My real estate agent has told me to deal directly with the business who organised the install of the pipes. I have tried going through directly to the business, my real estate agent and the building management but no luck. The business just ignores my emails and the real estate agent says they can't help.

My car insurance say I have to cover the excess which doesn't make it worth it for me.

I have lots of photos and even a video of the leak occuring.

My questions are:
  • Who is responsible?
  • Can I send a letter of demand to the business and then maybe take them to court?
  • What else can i do?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Option 2 - send demand letter to the business. They can take it up with the plumber or land owner if they have issues. Be prepared to got to the Magistrates' Court, I don't think this is a matter VCAT can look at because you are not 'doing business' with the business.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Rod is correct. Of course the plumber will ignore you, their obligations are with the person who contracted the work, not you.

doozie58

1 March 2018
Thanks for the responses guys.

Consumer affairs has advised to lodge a complaint with my building management and then to obtain legal advise as to next steps which may include VCAT.

Thanks for all your help!