NSW lawyer's role if not an executor of will

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lynneb

21 September 2017
I am the wife and executor of my husbands will. The lawyer holding the will has asked for the addresses of beneficiaries is he entitled to do so?

Arche

20 March 2015
Have you as executor instructed the solicitor to act for you or is he acting off his own bat?

If he has been instructed to act then what concerns do you have about providing addresses? Have you asked why he wants them? The beneficiaries are entitled to a copy of the will-perhaps that is why he is asking.

lynneb

21 September 2017
Have you as executor instructed the solicitor to act for you or is he acting off his own bat?

If he has been instructed to act then what concerns do you have about providing addresses? Have you asked why he wants them? The beneficiaries are entitled to a copy of the will-perhaps that is why he is asking.
I meant to say that the lawyer requested the addresses of the nominated Executors should I predecease my husband. I assumed when lawyers hold documents and have no instruction to do anything they are just held for safekeeping and can be retrieved any time the executor requires.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I would say that the lawyer is being proactive and responsible. Should an accident unfortunately occur, there's a good chance you and your husband may be together. Knowing how to get in contact with the other executors in such a circumstance without having to search for them is beneficial to getting the estate administration underway.

Reactions: AdValorem and Rod