WA Lawyer taking "too long" to act is this normal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mark Tee Kay

1 January 2019
Around 2 weeks ago I followed my lawyers direction to put an initial $3000 in their trust account. This is a law firm in Perth and one of the top hits on google, I couldn't find any feedback positive or negative and I've had a few consults/legal advice sessions with this lawyer which were always paid in cash on the day and never an issue there. I selected this particular lawyer knowing he is fairly busy, but ultimately chose him due to his years of experience. I have signed a cost agreement with them.

He is supposed to respond to a house sale letter for me (the person who wanted to sell house took an AVO on me, my ex, what I consider to be a "fake avo" none the less it stands under the legal system), when I first deposited the money I was told it would be done in 1 week and the letter would be sent to me to inspect to see if I agree want to make changes etc.

1.5 weeks passed, no letter, so I sent an email to follow up and the lawyer phoned me assuring that 1) he had received payment and 2) soon I'd get a receipt (which is also yet to arrive) and that by mid week my letter would be done (so that would be COB Wednesday 6 November). Still nothing. So today I called, got his secretary, he is apparently out of office and will call me back.

I ask you all especially lawyers or anyone who has "been through the system" so to speak, are these sorts of delays normal? Have a chosen the wrong man for the job? He did assure me I could cancel and refund my $3000 less any fees for services already provided, but I really don't want to go that route, given this particular lawyer knows the history, knows what I want etc.

So am I being impatient? Does this stuff typically drag on? Fairly stressed over this as I need to get on with my life and I see this as holding it up, or at least unnecessarily stalling things out.