QLD Lawyer Ripping Us Off - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Snapchat07

3 February 2017
Hi,

There we used a not for profit lawyer to finalise our family law parenting orders. We paid $1000 into their trust account and went to court once and then did consent orders that we wrote ourselves. The other party signed, we then went back three months later for one 30 minute meeting to discuss financial and they sent a bill for $350 for nothing after telling me we still had money in trust.

I requested an itimised bill on the 5th of July for all work done we received a lump sum bill instead for $1750 after the $350 bill, I then requested the bill again on the 20th July and they have not replied with anything. It's been well over the 28 days since I first requested then I'll where do we stand?

Thanks

sammy01

27 September 2015
you should be entitled to an itemised account. You should definitely question the bill, seems like an error has happened along the way...

Has the financial stuff been settled?

You know all that stuff about how horrible solicitors are.... I reckon it is all true... They will sell your debt to a debt collection agency, the agency will charge insane interest and if you don't pay, your credit rating will be screwed...

Snapchat07

3 February 2017
Thank you we didn't use them for financial and are doing it ourselves. We saw a community lawyer who was free and did up the Application ourselves. I didn't have much faith in the lawyers we had used as in court he forgot about our whole case when questioned by the judge and when the order was breached they didn't file correctly and nothing happened. Can I complain to someone about it?

Time101

10 July 2017
Hi snapchat07

I had the same thing happen to me in Perth with a lawyer. My itemised account was excessively high for little work they did.

In QLD do you have a legal complaint committee.

You can lodge a complaint and they will look into it for you.

You have very right to ask for an itemised bill and if you feel that they have put incorrect figure then I would question them in a form of a letter.

They should reply. Give them an end date like ... 7 working days to respond.

Good luck.

My complaint is being dealt with by the legal board in Perth. Took them months to get an answer from the lawyer.

Also I agree with sammy.. What is said about lawyers is so true .. Charging so much for little work they do.
Biggest problem is filing right documents for court orders. Sometime I wonder how they become solicitors.

Atm I'm representing myself .. Ive accomplished more in the last month or so, than they have In so many months I was with them.

It's sad though especially when you Do your best to get the funds for them to represent you in family court.

Good luck with your case. Wish you all the best.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com