NSW Lawyer for a Paternity Case

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jayzee

24 April 2017
Hey,

So I have this situation where I didn't put the father on my son's birth certificate. My son is 7 months now and since my ex and I separated, he has gotten a lawyer and sent me a letter of demand to see X.

I don't want him having anything to do with X for multiple reasons and I'm looking for a good lawyer to respond with.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

lawanswers

Staff member
6 April 2014
Hi @Jayzee,
Please consider supporting an Australian lawyer who supports the LawAnswers.com.au community.
You can see and read verified reviews for family lawyers and instantly book an appointment online for a phone call or meeting at the lawyer's office at: Family Lawyers in Australia: Book Online Instantly
Some lawyers offer a free first consultation and fixed fee services.
All the best!

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Hi jayzee,

I'm not a solicitor.

Suggestions?

Your son has a right to see and form a relationship with both his parents. Maybe you should let him.

I'm guessing you going to say that the father is an all round bad guy...(one of the usual justifications)...That doesn't change the kids right to know both his parents.

You can spend a lot of money trying to stop this....A good Solicitor will tell you the same thing.

Good luck

Reactions: lostgmar

Jayzee

24 April 2017
Gorodetsky I would agree, except for the fact that he told me that he would do anything it took to make me regret leaving him. And when we were together he showed very little interest in Xander. I have no problem with my child having a loving father, but I refuse to let him be made into a pawn in a game.

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Hi jayzee,

You don't need to convince me. I didn't post because I wanted to argue.

[No interest in child] + [threat about regret] + [multiple reasons] = all round bad guy...Ok, I get it.

Did you really just post that you don't want the kid to be a pawn in a game...After seeking a solicitor to help stopping the father from having anything to do with the kid?

He's already got a solicitor telling him "the courts will give a (well behaved) father access". They'll be telling him to behave.

Phone around a few family lawyers...Some Solicitors give the first 15 minutes free phone advice...They'll tell you that you cannot simply decide to cut access to the father.

Good luck

Reactions: Colambo

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I have no problem with my child having a loving father...

The time for deciding who would make a loving father for your kid has long passed. You'll be hard-pressed to find a lawyer who thinks you can oust dad from your son's life on grounds he said he wants you to regret leaving him. That's a beef between you and the father, not the father and his kid.

For the record, I wouldn't call it uncommon these days for the Courts to reverse residency in situations where the primary carer is unable to facilitate and encourage a relationship between a child and their parent. Best to act carefully if you're withholding the child on flimsy grounds.

Blessing

20 April 2017
Sydney NSW
Whether or not you want to allow the father to see his son, it is a good idea that you find a lawyer...clearly the case will be headed straight to Court.

However just as everyone said, best to lower your expectation, it is highly unlikely that you can get a no time order in Court. Your personal issues with the father become irrelevant and his past actions while taken in consideration will not be the deciding factor...

What the court sees as the best interest of your son will take priority and one of the important things they emphasis is that the child have a relationship with both his parents.