QLD Lawyer Behaviour - Made an Enquiry to Lawyer Undertaking Other Party's Case?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bronextdoor

26 November 2017
Hello.

Very glad that I found this forum! Nice to e-meet you all.

I had a dispute while ago that I was looking into. Basically, I got in touch with multiple firms to get this matter looked at to find right firm.

During the process of resolving the dispute, I found out one of the law firm that I made an enquiry to took the case of other party.

When I made initial enquiry they seemed like they were interested in the case and got me to send documents/details after that they declined to take the case because it was not their specialty area. I got another firm to look at the matter and from emails I found out that law firm was where I sent infomation took the case for other party.

Is this possible scenario in law firms? I feel like I'm disadvantaged

Any opinion is appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Did you pay the other (first) law firm any money? Did you sign any paperwork with them?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Yes, it's possible - especially if there is a small pool of law firms in that area of law. It may be as simple as the other party is an existing past/client of theirs, or someone else in the law firm accepted instructions.

Clancy

6 April 2016
The big question is - did you give them any information they would not otherwise be able to find out by their own research/other party or discovery?

Bronextdoor

26 November 2017
Thanks for the reply guys.

Rod - No I did not sign anything nor pay them. When they asked for information I emailed them detailed information about case.
Rob - Thank you for your answer.
Clancy - I think I did.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Well in that case you should tell your new lawyer exactly what information you revealed to them

Clancy

6 April 2016
Also, if you did reveal information to them that they would not have otherwise been able to obtain, then they run off to work for the other side, this is a very serious matter!

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
One tactic is let the other side run with the dispute for a little while, rack up costs, then say, BTW aren't you the mob that has my confidential information? It might be a good idea for you to withdraw from the case to avoid a perceived conflict of interest.

But if the result is you have better lawyers, why not let the other side continue with a handicap.