WA Lawyer Behaviour - Can Lawyer Discuss Your Case to Another Lawyer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Helen001

30 March 2017
Hi guys, another question.

Lawyer A is looking after these charges, Lawyer B is looking after separate charges. Can Lawyer A contact Lawyer B, without your permission and discuss that case, even though they are completely separate and in different courts? And Lawyer A's case has nothing to do with Lawyer B's case.

Also what if the prosecutor says something in court that is in fact not true, such as you having a Legal Aid grant when there is no grant?

Reactions: Timothy Longmire

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Hi guys, another question.
lawyer A is looking after these charges, lawyer B is looking after separate charges.
Can lawyer A contact lawyer B, without your permission and discuss that case even though they are completely separate and in different courts. And lawyer A's case has nothing to do with lawyer B's case.
When did Lawyer A contact B?

Did you give explicit instructions not to contact Lawyer B?

What occurred in the conversation?

Too many variables - At a base level I don't see anything wrong with contacting another lawyer who is also acting for you (the same client) - Perhaps the charges (contrary to your belief) are related or there could be any number of other variables. Although I would say it is somewhat odd that a client is concurrently facing 2 sets of different charges and retains to different lawyers.

Also what if the prosecutor says something in court that is in fact not true, such as you having a legal aid grant when there is no grant.
Then your lawyer should address the mistake and correct the prosecutor in that there is no legal aid.

Reactions: Timothy Longmire

Dave2024

20 December 2023
Lawyers do what they want and want easy money from my experience so far been told a lot of lies and debated for days till they changed their tunes