QLD Landlord has disconnected my power and water supply

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jodie_K

23 May 2018
I am currently going through a number of disputes with my landlord who i rent privately through. We have a court ordered date on the 4th of June however he has turned off the main water and power supply to the property leaving me with a 4 month old baby i am unable to feed and bath. The power and water is in his name as he lives behind the property i rent in a shed, this is where the main power box and water supply is. He has told me he is doing this as an attempt to evict me from the property prior to the court date. He believes i am behind in rent however i am not i am in advance and he wont provide me with any rent reciepts or a rent ledger to support his claim. I phoned the police and they arnt doing anything to help me as it is a civil matter and the water and power is in his name however RTA has advised me this is a criminal offence for him to disconnect the utilities on a tenant. We have an agreement that i am to pay the water and power bill directly to him but he has never issued me with a bill as my partner worked out he has not seperately metred the property he is also using the same water and power supply. I have issued him notice to remedy breach forms on the grounds there are extensive maintence issues with the property he has not maintained. What can i do to have my water and power reconnected immediately? Is there anything i can bring to the police's attention for them to realise they should help me?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
he wont provide me with any rent receipts or a rent ledger to support his claim.

Hopefully you have proof you paid.

If so, I'd be telling him that unless he restores power and water you'll be forced to move into temporary accommodation and will be seeking damages from him at your court hearing. See if that gets your power restored.

If not, get an independent witness, maybe someone from council or Family and Child Connect, who can be witness you having no power and water, then move.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com