QLD Land tax in Queensland

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Choc

25 June 2019
I have a question about being an absentee for Qld land tax. I know its a long shot, but I will still ask. In Qld you are deemed an absentee if you reside out of the country,even if you are an Australian citizen. I have been told that I have to pay a huge amount, 3 times my yearly income, because I'm deemed an absentee. I still haven't received an official notice from the Land Tax dept stating how much is owed. As of July 1st, the old law is repealed and I will be deemed a resident again. Will the change of status change anything,seeing as no official land tax statement has been received yet.

Last edited:

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
To my understanding: no. Land tax is assessed on the condition of the property as at midnight on 30 June in each year (just before it becomes 1 July). Changes throughout the year make no difference - it's only the status on June 30. Subsequent changes in later years have no effect on the liability assessed in a previous year. Accordingly, you will be assessed as an absentee for the previous years and pay the higher rate (plus potential late payment penalties and interest).

You should have received a notice of assessment of land tax and a due date (usually somewhere in November). Failure to pay by the due date attracts unpaid tax interest at the current rate of 9.96% per annum. Good luck getting them to tell you how much is owed, they're notoriously difficult to deal with on that front.

What happens this June 30 is a bit unclear. The Queensland Government website says changes from 1 July (Absentees for land tax | Environment, land and water | Queensland Government) indicating the new rate won't apply, but their information sheet says from 30 June (https://budget.qld.gov.au/files/19-004_Budget 2019-20 Budget Statements - LANDTAX_3.pdf) which would indicate it does.

Choc

25 June 2019
Thanks for the reply Rob, I basically knew the answer but it was worth a try. This being a resident, then absentee and back to being a resident is a complete shambles. Thanks for your time.