JOINT DOG NON DEFACTO SEPERATION**

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Palms

12 November 2019
Hello,

Currently going through a separation with my ex partner (non defacto only been living together 1 year).

I understand as much as it breaks my heart. that he will be getting the dog and I am drawing this up in the consent order. I will get the house (I put in all the deposit) and our cat.

What grinds my gears is how childish he is being and wont even let me come to a joint custody arrangement and keeps saying it is how dog (we rescued/adopted the dog as a couple). I know this will be hard to do a custody arrangement, but I think the dog will miss me he is an extremely emotional dog and having gone through trauma of being rescued this is considered his home and for my partner to take him elsewhere and cut all ties with me I think is a bit selfish feelings or no feelings aside from me.

He has since gone and located paperwork of council registration saying he is the owner, however we both signed and adopted him from our local rescue center. What I am asking is what can I do if anything? My mum wants me to cut my ties but this is extremely difficult. Do I let the dog go in hopes that he will at some point come around and let me see him?

sammy01

27 September 2015
This is a family law forum. Technically a dog is property, not a child so you can't have joint custody.

Look you're better off being done with the guy. You're getting the cat and the house? you've done well. Cut ties and move on.

Palms

12 November 2019
Oh woops posted in the wrong chat.

I know its just heart breaking the dog was like a child to me (silly I know).

Palms

12 November 2019
Hopefully getting cat and house wont know till 5 weeks when bank looks at loan/ consent orders are finalized and he signs it!